Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Awestruck

Hi SPFB blog readers. I'm going to be updating you about the exciting things going on at the Food Bank through this blog and I can't wait to get started. (In fact, I already did with yesterday's blog.) I am new to the SPFB and I am learning more and more each day about what an imperative service the SPFB provides for 21 counties across the South Plains. I have volunteered at the SPFB in the past and have been aware of the need to see people fed but to see first hand the lives that are improved on a daily basis has been an eye-opener. I am in awe of what is being done here, amazed that I get to be a part of it, and I want to share that with you! I want to meet you and tell you about what is being done about hunger on the South Plains.

Just yesterday I was able to visit one of the summer food sites that helps feeds children. At just that one site in Lubbock, 60 kids were fed a hot lunch today. These are children who, during the school year, receive reduced or free breakfasts and lunches at school. The meal they received at noon today may be the only hot meal they will eat today. Their bright faces and soft laughter filled the room as they were given the very basic of human rights, the right to nutrition. Soon, they were off to play and enjoy summer. How exciting to be part of an organization that aims to eradicate hunger! Thank you for all you do to help the SPFB feed our neighbors and friends.

1 comment:

primo said...

Welcome to the food bank family, Carol. You are in a great position to educate the community on the hunger issues facing Lubbock. Good job!