Friday, February 05, 2010

One in Eight in Lubbock

Feeding America released its national hunger study this month. In 2009, thirty-six million Americans received food assistance from a food bank or food bank agency. That translates into one in eight Americans, one in eight Texans, one in eight of my neighbors.


One in eight rings true when I see people I know coming to the food bank for themselves or for friends or family members who are struggling because of wages not keeping up with food prices or losing jobs.

Ron, a childhood friend of mine was in the office this week. My daughter and his son had been in the same first grade class. From my office, I could see him in the lobby. Friends of mine stop by all the time to volunteer or drop off food donations. Expecting the same from Ron, I stepped out to say hello and quickly realized he was uncomfortable seeing me.

Ron had lost his job before Christmas and needed help. It was awkward for him. It was awkward for me because Ron was not supposed to be one in eight... but he was.

Seeing Ron was an eye opening moment. Each day at the South Plains Food Bank, people from all walks of life pass through the food bank. Some I know, some I don’t. But what I realized when I saw Ron was that whether or not I know them… they are someone’s neighbor or mother or father or child. They are someone’s one in eight.
Keep your eyes open.

(Here is local information about Hunger on the South Plains.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

empty buildings around town, friends and family without jobs - it is everywhere. I am thankful for the help the food bank offers.