Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Stories

I spent yesterday out of the office with people, Erin and Bob, from the organization that produces our hard-copy (or paper copy) newsletter. They come in about once a year and gather all the stories and photos they need then head back to California where they write, Photoshop, and lay everything out for us.

I enjoyed meeting both Bob and Erin and feel like we are already old friends. They both touched my life and made a hectic day loads of fun.

But they are not the only people who touched my life yesterday. As we made our way around several agencies that work with the South Plains Food Bank, I met many people whose faces are still with me today.

Irma and her son who were able to get food from the food pantry at Trinity Outreach. He was holding on to a box of cereal - clutching it to his chest as though it was a prized possession. I feel certain it was to him.

Bobby, who has been looking for a job since being released from prison. He is working temp jobs as he can find them to get by until he can find full-time employment.

Sharee, in the last stages of AIDS and a recovering addict. She kept talking about her dog being her only friend and told us about the birthday she spent alone without friends, family, gifts, or cake to celebrate her life.

There were so many stories yesterday that moved me and I found myself exhausted last night as I crawled into bed. But as I laid there in bed, under the warmth of covers and a nice soft mattress, I was again thankful for those who have reached out to help Connor and I so that we are not homeless or hungry.

Thank you to all of our agencies who assist us in alleviating hunger and giving hope to the hungry.

No comments: