Friday, May 20, 2011

Want vs. Need

1 in 6.

1 in 6 Americans is touched by a food bank.

I am one.

I live in fear every month that I am not going to have enough money to provide everything we need for the month. And yes, I tease my mother all the time that I know the difference between want and need: I want a haircut; my son needs insulin! I get it the difference really.

Occassionally, when I am online, I will read those cost saving articles - "How to trim $100 a month from your budget," or "50 ways to save $2,000 a year." I have to laugh because most of the time I am doing everything they have listed! There's no where to trim or save in my budget!

I live in fear. There is not a dime to spare in my budget. Rent, utilities, gas, groceries, medical bills, student loans, car payment, car insurance, monthly prescriptions, and doctor bills take everything I make. Really, they do.

I am not one paycheck from being homeless. I am one extra prescription a month; I am one more doctor visit a month; I am one more medical bill away from being homeless. One more thing added to my plate and we can't afford to live on our own.

And I am not alone. There are thousands of Americans just like me.

1 and 6 Americans is touched by a food bank.

They are people who are not one paycheck away - they are one more thing away from needing help.

The baby gets sick; the car breaks down; they begin taking care of aging parents; their hours got cut at work...it was just one more thing added to their plate.

Their plate is full of everything, but food because they are forced to choose between medicine for their child and food.

They live in fear. They live totally stressed out; stressed out about how they are going to make ends meet this paycheck.

1 and 6 Americans is touched by a food bank.

Do you know one?

No comments: