Monday, December 19, 2011

A holiday hug...

One of our staff reported that he got into a hug while he was passing out a food box. I’ve heard of people getting into a fight, but never getting into a hug. It’s a risk we take every day at the South Plains Food Bank I guess. In fact... I got into a hug today. It is humbling.

People come to us burdened with lost jobs, illness, or other crises that keep them from putting food on the table for themselves and their children.  Because of your generous support, we can provide food for people. It eases the burden for a moment. It gives them hope. They want to hug someone. And since you weren’t here, they hugged me instead. I was glad to receive it on your behalf.

A wonderful woman who stopped by for a food box last week sent me a sweet note. She wrote about leaving the food bank with tears in her eyes… “not from shame for asking for help, but because I saw the love of God  in you and your staff…” Like I said, this can be a humbling place to work.

Your gifts to the South Plains Food Bank make such a difference in the families we serve every day. 1 in 5 people on the South Plains will be fed through you and the agencies we serve this year.  It’s hard to believe, but it’s true. I hope your holidays are filled with hugs and joy.

No comments: