Friday, May 05, 2006

David Loves to Blog

I am at the food bank to post my mail and make copies when I make a casual mention to David Weaver about a check I received in the mail today for the GRUB Program. Without even waiting to hear the end of my comment he interrupts me and tells me to write a BLOG about it. If you are checking the food bank BLOG site with any regularity you will realize that David loves to BLOG! So at his insistance here is my BLOG for today:
I recieved a check today in the amount of $20 to go towards a GRUB Scholarship. Every summer we look to local foundations and local donors to help us raise funds to support our summer GRUB program. During the summer we hire approximately 15 teenagers from our volunteer GRUB program to work on the farm. The lucky teens chosen for the summer program work 25 hours a week for minimum wage at the farm from 7:00 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday for 11 weeks. In addition to the early work schedule these young people do all of the manual labor on our 5.5-acre, chemical-free farm growing produce for distribution through the food bank and for our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Share of the Harvest Program. It costs approximately $1,800 for each teen we put through our summer program. Besides the hard work they perform they are learning life skills, job skills and leadership skills.
So...back to the $20 check - I mentioned to David that the $20 check I recieved today meant as much, if not more to me than if I had recieved a check for a full scholarship ($1,800) because I knew $20 from this particular individual was a good portion of her monthly budget. The fact that she sent me that check was a great validation to me and for my GRUB program. I have high hopes that I will recieve checks for $1,800 for full GRUB scholarships, but today's $20 check will have a special place in my heart. Thanks, Jenifer

No comments: