Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Food Drives

Have you ever donated food to a food drive for a food bank? More specifically have you ever donated food to a South Plains Food Bank food drive? I have. I remember when my daughters were in school and they would come home asking to take cans to school for the food bank so they could get out of doing homework or could earn an extra point on a test. I complied without questioning why the food bank needed the food or to whom it was going. I opened my pantry and pulled out the "mistakes" I had purchased at the grocery store. That can of cream-style corn when I meant to pick up whole-kernel. The canned baby shrimp I thought I would use in a salad, but didn't. The extra can of pork-n-beans I didn't use when I made baked beans. I never gave any thought to what cans I pulled out of the pantry to send to school for the food bank.

Now I work for the food bank and I see first hand the need for good nutritious food. The need for high protein, whole grain, nutritious food; food just like I would want to serve to my family. Not the dented cans or the cans missing their labels.

Today David Weaver, the Executive Director of the South Plains Food Bank, related a story to me that made me cry (okay - if you know me, you know this doesn't take much, but this is a very touching story). He was at the food drive site this afternoon when a young, twenty-something, man showed up. The young man asked about the pre-made sacks of groceries available to donate to the food bank for $5. He told David that when he was a child they received food assistance from the food bank and he got tired of the "same old food bank food" and would it be okay if he purchased items of his choosing. He returned a short while later with over $100 worth of food to donate to the food bank. I wish I could have taken a peek into his grocery bags. I bet there wasn't one single can of cream-style corn!

I'm not knocking cream-style corn. But I am in awe of this young man who is "paying it forward." If you would like to donate to the South Plains Food Bank's summer food drive you can donate at the food drive site at the United Supermarket at 82nd Street and Frankford Ave. or you can donate online at www.spfb.org

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when our families-in-need receive the food items donated by our imaginative donor today.

No comments: