Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Simple Goodness

A few posts ago I wrote about fresh produce and the SPFB's farm and apple orchard. Yesterday, I blogged about the GRUB program at the farm and the integral role they play in having fresh produce for our clients. Well, when I went to the farm last week, I didn't leave empty handed. Roy, our farmer, sent me home with fresh squash, cucumber, tomatoes and okra. YUM!

I went out of town this weekend so last night was the first opportunity I had to cook with the fresh vegetables. My favorite vegetable is okra, so I sliced up about half the okra and boiled it. I didn't do anything fancy, no breading, no oil, just a little salt. It was delicious!!! If I'm honest I will admit that I usually use frozen okra but I'm not sure I can go back now. There is just something so "fresh" about cooking with fresh produce. You don't need all the fancy spices or frying -- it is good just the way nature intended.

Tonight I'm planning to make a squash casserole with my fresh produce, grown right here in West Texas! It is my grandmother's recipe and it too uses few ingredients. I love it because the squash flavor is not overpowered by a bunch of additional ingredients. Just add some milk and a little water and voila! you have a squash casserole that is outstanding! In fact, as a little girl I could not stand squash (crazy, I love it now) and the only way I would eat it was this casserole recipe. I can't wait to try it with my squash from the SPFB's farm!!

No comments: