Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Mascera, Mudflap (KLLL), a tutu and the Can-Can Food Drive

Today as I was running a few errands before work I tuned in to KLLL's morning show. They have kicked off the Annual Can Can Food Drive for us in a huge way! We don't officially get out there until 11am with all the sponsors and volunteers but Jeff, Kelli and Mudflap were already promoting the food drive and getting people in to buy $5 bags of food to help re-stock the SPFB!

I started listening at 8am and their goal was to sell 20, $5 bags in an hour. First, let me explain about the bags of food. Every bag is filled with food, healthy food, that will go into the food boxes the SPFB hands out. United is selling them for $5 (they worth more than that) and the SPFB is able to feed one more family on the South Plains. Mudflap (from KLLL's morning show) was on site to sell those bags! They are at the register of the United on 82nd and Frankford. Okay, back to the goal. With 15 minutes left, they had already sold 39 bags so they increased their goal to 100 bags!! From 20 to 100 -- WOW!! There were some people who simply stopped by and handed their money to Mudflap and he then went and bought the bags. It's that easy!!!

I have to say that I'm glad I wasn't wearing mascera this morning -- ladies, you know what I mean. Any water in the eyes and that stuff just runs like mad down your face. I wasn't expecting to be so moved by the generosity of our fellow Lubbockites, but I was. I couldn't help but think, this community really does care. Maybe I'm an idealist or maybe people just really want to see Mudflap in a tutu (that's right, if our goal for the day is reached, Mudflap will wear a tutu tomorrow). However, I choose to believe that even in this time of economic hardship that is hitting us all, people still want to afford their friends and neighbors the right to eat. I think of the faces of the children that will be fed thanks to this food drive and I can't help but tear up a little.

Our goal for the week is 1000 bags ... so let's keep it going strong Lubbock!

No comments: