Friday, August 21, 2009

My Favorite Day

As you know, this month the SPFB has been collecting school supplies for our annual Stuff the Bus: School Supply Drive. Well, today at 9am, we started handing out the school supplies. When I got to work at 8, there was already a line forming.

As I stood there, helping hand out grade appropriate school supplies, I had to fight back the tears. As I've said before, I love the first day of school and I love school supplies. To see all the children in line, ready for school, was just exciting! Education is so important, it is part of what helps breaks the cycle of poverty. As I talked to kids that came through my line, I couldn't help but hope they would someday be standing in line at a university, waiting to get their class schedules. That they would not have to get a voucher for their children's school supplies.

At the SPFB we offer hope by providing food for those who have hit hard times. Once a year, we get to provide hope through ensuring that every child starts the school year out with the proper supplies to succeed. After that, it's up to them but if giving them the resouces needed helps break that cycle of poverty and give them hope for a better future, then my favorite day might become the day we hand out school supplies. The first day of school can come in a close second!



No comments: