Friday, September 25, 2009

Hunger Action Month and more

As Hunger Action Month comes to a close and fall starts ramping up, I can't help but get excited about all that is going on at the South Plains Food Bank. What used to be a one day "Hunger Awareness Day" was turned into a month of action! It's one thing to be aware of hunger in your community and the ripple effects it has, not only the individuals who don't have enough food, but on the community as a whole. It is another to actually take action to combat hunger.

I don't usually like to use words that are so agressive in nature, like combat, but I think it's appropriate in this context. We do have to fight to ensure that people in our communties, across our nation and around the world don't go hungry. Those of us who are fortunate to not know "real" hunger, can't imagine what is like. Sure, we've felt hungry but we've rarely, if ever, felt hungry and at the same time not be able to know when our next meal is going to be or where is coming from. I have found myself staring into my pantry, thinking that I have nothing to eat. Really? I see soup, popcorn, peanut butter, bread ... it may not be what I was looking for and I may have to actually make something but I have food. My pantry is not empty. There are people and families in our community whose pantries are actully empty. This month we have tried to communicate, educate and motivate the people of West Texas.

We're not finished yet! We have a "celebrity day" at the SPFB next week, where local figure heads have been invited out to see what we do at the food bank and to volunteer with us for an afternoon. It should be a fun day! Plus, October is full of OctoberFAST activities and the annual U Can Share Food Drive is coming quickly -- it's going to be a great fall at the South Plains Food Bank!

No comments: