Thursday, October 01, 2009

It's getting really busy!

One of my friends asked me if there is ever a slow time at the South Plains Food Bank. I told him we are busy all the time except when we get "really" busy! October is when we start to get "really" busy! It will stay that way through January. Of course when I consider the past year and the impact of the economy on the people we serve, it's been a "really" busy year. Our food distribution to the hungry has gone up by 25%.

The only way we have been close to keeping up with the increased needs because of our friends who give a little to feed a lot... a little time, a little voice, a little food, a little money. It all adds up. September was Hunger Action Month for Feeding America Food Banks across the country. Thanks to all of you who pitched in to make a difference.

Yesterday, when I was leaving, I stopped to talk to an elderly woman who was picking up a box of food. In the box was canned goods, dry goods, fresh produce, eggs, dairy products and lots of other good things that would help her and her husband get through a rough patch in their lives. When she was loaded up she gave me a hug and said, "God bless you and all the folks at the food bank!"

I'm passing on her hug and blessings today.

No comments: