Friday, January 22, 2010

Giving Food . . . Giving Hearts

My office mate, Al Solis ~ who is head of food resourcing ~ just finished giving an interview to an intern. I guess she is going around interviewing everyone about their jobs here at the food bank. I found myself laughing out loud several times because Al was trying to politely tell her ~ none of us are here for the money! While it did give me a chuckle, it has made me stop and think. Al is right. Many here could be working somewhere else making far greater sums of cash, but as Al explained, no one here thinks about the money. Because of the giving hearts here ~ I find co-workers standing out at the distribution dock in freezing weather or dirt storms handing out food boxes, they stay in the freezer room all day packing our freezer/cold boxes, many stand on their feet long hours neatly organizing cans and other food in our dry boxes, and then I see our 'bean counters' and administration who refuse excessive salaries because they know every $1 really does provide 7 meals. So yes, we are giving food here at the South Plains Food Bank, but all of my co-workers are also giving hearts in their labor!

No comments: