Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Whole New World

So I woke today to a whole new world. . . insulin shots, glucose monitors, and learning the reality of the the words, "My son is a diabetic." It is a different world. I found myself thinking all sorts of thoughts. I mean what color is that cause? I know the red ribbon is AIDS awareness. The pink ribbon is breast cancer awareness. But what color and symbol represent diabetes? I still have no idea. I also discovered today that there is a walk every September. Again, clueless, because diabetes has not really been in my world personally. I mean sure, I know relatives who have it, but I never really thought about it much. I mean, I guess since it is not usually life threatening, like the cancer that runs rampant in my family, it has not been a focus. So not only do I find out about this walk, but that Jenifer and our G.R.U.B. kids had a team last year. Well , Jen, sign me up! In just what little I have managed to process in the past hours of this diagnosis - diet is so important. So another thought that travels through my brain. . . some of our clients are diabetic. Wow. It is so very important they have food that is right for a diabetic. It is vital that they not skip meals and snacks. My mind raced to our diabetic food boxes; thankful that we have them for a population that depends on food for medical reasons. It is indeed whole new world.

No comments: