Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Numbers


I have a love/hate relationship with numbers. On the one hand, it is legendary in my circle of family and friends and co-workers that I "am not good at math". There is some evidence to support this view- flunking geometry (which is NOT math in my opinion) in high school, and then recently, taking the remedial algebra in college.

However, the truth is I love numbers, IF, they are orderly, fill-in-the-blanks, products of such sensible actions such as addition, multiplication, subtraction, or division, and occasionally for spice, percentages. And that's good because we have to come up with a lot of those guys.

Today I am projecting every snack, lunch, or breakfast we will serve this summer. How can I know the future? Well, or course I don't, but years in food service, deciding how many people will want chicken salad or tortilla soup this coming Saturday, has trained my to be a pretty good guesser.

And the more numbers we have, the more real live children and moms and senior folks, will be taken care of- or at least, they will be fed. And be closer to knowing where the next meal is coming from. Something most of us take for granted.

These girls are from a Kids Cafe in Lubbock at the Asbury UMC- run by a group called Shalom Community of Hope- they are preparing veggie pizzas in a nutrition ed class. A few beautiful faces that go with my numbers.

No comments: