Sunday, March 26, 2006

What's for dinner?

Saturday was a busy day for my daughter, Grace. She had to go to two birthday parties. Such a hetic day! By the time evening rolled around, she was dragging. She came up to me and asked, "Dad, can we have some Breedlove Soup tonight?"

Since she was four or five years old, I've used Grace as a guinea pig to see how she likes the blends that the team at Breedlove Dehydrated Foods has come up with. I figure that if she likes it, anyone will. Grace has always been happy to share her opinion. For Grace, Breedlove's Vegetable Blend has become a comfort food.

One cup of vegetable blend and five cups of water got us started. We added some salt and other seasonings. Then I looked in the refrigerator to see if we add some other vegetables we could had to the mix.

I'm not the only one who embellishes. As we have shipped Breedlove to other parts of the world, it is fun to hear what local families do to adapt our blend to their tastes. Quite a bit of our vegetable blend has been distributed in Indonesia through USAID through the International Food Relief Partnership Program. USAID has put together an Indonesian recipe page for Breedlove product.

Thirty minutes later, we had soup!

Over the past year, Breedlove has shipped more than 165 million servings of our vegetable blends to feed tsunami victims in Southeast Asia, hurricane victims along the Gulf Coast, poor families in Mexico, children in Nicaragua, and a host of other people facing hunger throughout the world.

Like any parent, I want only the best for my daughter. Grace enjoyed her soup. It gives me pause to think of other parents throughout the world struggling to provide the best they can for their family. Somewhere else today, perhaps another family is sharing a bowl of soup made with our Breedlove Vegetable Blend. I hope they too find nourishment and comfort.

No comments: