Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Comfort Food

I am currently in Denver, Colorado. My best friend's father passed away over the Thanksgiving holiday, so I am here for the memorial service that will be held tomorrow. Upon arriving last night I noticed something right away - everyone began offering us something to eat. Many of the neighbors, friends, and family have brought food and there is enough to feed an army. Even now as I sit typing this blog, baking is going on in the kitchen. The first thing we did last night was eat. The first thing we did this morning was go eat breakfast at Einstein Bagel and as soon as we returned home - the chicken went on for the family favorite chicken spaghetti! We already have a place reserved for everyone to eat after the services tomorrow. I said all of this to say - food is a comfort for us and especially has we morn the passing of loved ones. There is comfort in breaking bread together, in cooking and tasting family dishes. As we are surrounded here in Denver by snow, family, friends, and food - I think about our Food Bank clients back home. Many of them have heat on these cold days because they had to choose between paying their heating bill and buying food. I hope that the food box they get today brings them hope and maybe even provides a little comfort food.

No comments: