Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dancing Sugar Plums

You know, in thinking about Christmases of my childhood I don't ever get the sense in my memory that we were poor, but we were. In seeing pictures I would say there is never an indication of unhappiness or want. But I am sure my single mother worked long hours and stayed up nights wondering how she was going to provide for the two of us ~ especially during Christmas. I know there were Christmases she did without, meals that she didn't eat so she would have enough for me tomorrow. I say this in thinking about the clients we serve and their children. I am certain that many of the parents/guardians are staying up at night wondering how they are going to provide a meal for their little ones, much less toys and stockings. They lay there knowing that their kids will not have sugar plums dancing in their heads, but will have the ache of hunger gnawing at their tummies. But for many in our community, that will not be their holiday season - thanks to you. Because you have given the gift of time, money, food, and/or voice so many of these families will have a Christmas food box filled with enough food to last a family of 4 about 14 days! This will assist these families with the extra meals they need to provide for their school children while they are home, and also help them during this time when most agencies are closed for the holidays. This holiday season, because of you, there will be more dancing sugar plums!

No comments: