Monday, October 26, 2009

Sorting Eggs

I met him officially today while he was sorting eggs. He is one of our volunteers, an older gentleman, who caught me by surprise at our Hunger Heroes Luncheon. He uses a walker or crutch to get around, but that certainly does not slow him down. After a brief introduction and hand shake, I watched him for a few minutes. He was sitting in a chair sorting the eggs that Darryle brought to him. He took each egg and inspected it for cracks and damage. If it passed, he would put it inside a carton and then set the full carton aside. He takes the job seriously, I could tell as I watched him. And then as I was walking back into my office, I thought about the food box my family received a few weeks ago when I was a client. It had a carton of eggs and not one had been broken. I had thought at the time I opened my food box that it was just luck or that their was some machine or something that kept the eggs from getting broken. But I realized this morning that that was not the case at all. Steve, a volunteer, made sure my eggs were all intact. Volunteers make a difference here at the Food Bank - even if they just sort eggs. To volunteer call Meagan at 763-3003.

No comments: